To get better security
Most of the updates fix problems like bugs and security vulnerabilities. Hackers are always trying to find security issues so that they can take advantage of them. When new plugin updates are introduced and you don’t update, your site becomes vulnerable to hackers. For example, a plugin update like Akismet was aimed at closing a potential XSS vulnerability.
Whenever experts talk about security, the first thing they emphasise is to install updates. About 83% of the hacked WP sites were those that had not been updated. So, it is crucial to regularly update your plugins so that your website remains secure.
Features and Functionality
How to update WordPress
The updating process has been simplified by WordPress like any other platform. There are notifications that tell you if an update is pending. If you aren’t a daily user, you can get email alerts by downloading a plugin like WP Updates Notifier.
- Whenever an update is released, it is recommended to read the notes to see what changes are present in that particular update.
- If you have a development site, you can test the update on it before you apply it on your live site.
- Usually, site developers back up their sites regularly or use plugins like BackupBuddy. So it is recommended to make regular backups.
- Next, you can install the update to your live site.
- Now you need to test your site. Check all the items that were mentioned in the release notes of the update.